Tuesday 22 May 2012

lipstick muslims /slacktivists

The topic today is: Slacktivists. Soooo annoying people. And since this blog is supposed to be about muslims I´m gonna write about muslims.About people who are muslim only by words.And I´m not gonna tell about anyone, that he or she isnt muslim . I´m not able to judge about that .


You just have to take a look around you and have a closer look at the muslims ( or the people who call themselves muslims) to realize, that they are most of the time just in a really superficial way. How comes, ,I as a muslim girl, say something like that? How comes, I ,  as a muslim myself ,criticize the muslim community in public this harsh? A little explanation:

Yesterday I made myself a facebook-account  and as soon as I looked at the start-page there were people who shared things like that:


I dont know if you understand it,but it´s asking what you would choose. Money or Islam.Over 7000 people liked it and it was shared more than 1,200 times. This is CRAZY!!! And there is nothing wrong with doing so, no, BUT I have a serious problem, when people post things like that CONSTATNTLY although they are not religious at all.Or look at this:


It says "She repentanced now, she regrets it.". WHUUUUUUUUT??!!! People are you kidding me? I know the people , who posted these and none of them are very religious or live strictly by  islamic rules.But when it comes to talking about it, they´re heroes.And yeah it bothers me!


WHY ?

Because there is a message behind these posts. They try to tell you "Hey, I´m religious , I´m doing so good in religious aspects bla bla.Proof that you also do."  But in 90 % it´s not the case.From experience I can tell you, that if a religious post becomes succesful in the facebook-world it´s most of the time supported by non-religious people, who are muslim by words and dont give a f*** about the rules, when it comes to adapting them in your daily life. They do it for a reason: They know themselves, that they´re not doing good, but they want it to look like they would.It´s most of the time a pure PR-campagne. And this is what is most disturbing  about it.


This is what I call Slacktivism

And I hate slacktivism, I detest it. It´s DISGUSTING. What´s slacktivism? Let me quote ever so wise Wikipedia here :

term that describes "feel-good" measures, in support of an issue or social cause, that have little or no practical effect other than to make the person doing it feel satisfaction. The acts tend to require minimal personal effort from the slacktivist. The underlying assumption being promoted by the term is that these low cost efforts substitute for more substantive actions rather than supplementing them, although this assumption has not been borne out by research. [1]

 And these PR-Campagnes (they OBVIOUSLY are) are the purest form of slacktivism.They dont have any actual effect on the society , nor on the individual people who share them  or more worse, create these themselves! They are used for personal satisfaction.Nothing else. And it is disturbing me when people exploit religion for this.
It´s not a game. Be aware of that.
If you continue sharing these kinda posts, make sure you adapt or have adapted them in your own daily life.Make sure, that you MEAN what you say.Don´t be a slacktivist. Because this is the new disease of our digital century.

P.S.: And no, your not solving ANY problem with slacktivism.You haven´t solved anything.Look at Syria, Afghanistan,Iraq and look at KONY (most stupid slacktivism action I´ve ever seen, pure propaganda).And at least ,look at the finacial crisis. 

May peace be upon you <3










2 comments:

  1. Hmmm .... very wide taken topic... to be honest, don't know where to start... let me only share a single thought of me:
    I totaly agree about not pretending things that are not real or different in reality!
    But what is the problem of selfsatisfaction by posting things like that? Maybe it has some positive influence on person or community/society. At least its been keeping current and in loop. People show exactly what right way should look like and keeping reminding themselfes plus others.Wouldn't it be worse if people deny and forget completely?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah your making a really good point right here, I think the problem starts just the moment when you are satisfied with posting it and think youve done enough for the hereafter.

    ReplyDelete